How to obtain an NIE number and a guide to obtaining the NIE Number.
Do I need an NIE number?
In short yes – An NIE number is required to file taxes, to purchase property, start a business, open a bank account, and for most other documents you need to complete.
Guide to obtaining an NIE Number
The NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is the identification number in Spain for everyone who is not a Spanish citizen. EU and non-EU citizens get issued a NIE. The NIE is not a residency identification; you can have a NIE and be resident in another country.
Step by step to obtaining an NIE number:
- Fill out the NIE application form (EX-15), and print. (we shall email you one if required)
- You must fill out the form in Spanish. (We can assist by sending an English version as an Example. Or our Completed version).
- If you’re in Spain or Canary Islands, go to the police station or Oficina de Extranjeros. Outside of Spain, go to the nearest Spanish Consulate (the “Consulate dept legalizaciones”).
What you must take with you:
- The filled-out form
- Supporting document (Notarised letter, Pre purchase Contract) showing why you need a NIE
- A copy of your passport
- A passport photo
- Approx €10 to pay and Tax Form 790.
Assistance in filling in the NIE form:
We can assist and go with you to the local Oficina de Extranjeros. We will receive your NIE number in our office in 15 to 30 days.
Note that the NIE must include an address in Spain or Canary Islands in order to receive the letter with the NIE certificate. You can use our firm’s address, or your lawyers address.
Please email if any of the Documents or Example documents required.